Actions speak louder than words … it’s true.

Your body is a crucial part of communicating your inner feelings. Of course, we can’t communicate ideas, thoughts, and plans without words. However, the way people interpret those words is tremendously influenced by our non-verbal communication.

Albert Mehrabian, Professor of Psychology at University of California did a study on successful interpersonal communication and found that 7% of the information people walk away with is the result of words you have spoken. The remaining 93% is non-verbal … 55% of their response to you forms from their perception of your body language and 38% comes from your vocal quality.

Your body language speaks significantly louder than your words!

  • At work … when conducting meetings, think about what your body language is saying to your team.
  • At home … when you get home, think about how your body language is communicating to your spouse or roommate.

Here are four body movements that will move everybody:

  1. Make eye contact … it shows interest and respect.
  2. Nod your head … it shows agreement.
  3. Tilt your head … it fosters rapport.
  4. Smile … it inspires confidence in others.